Monday, January 19, 2015

Laptop Case

"I am Creative 
you can't expect me to be neat too"!

  Whoever said this was a wise soul, I love having a tidy house, but as soon as creativity strikes that's all I can think about until I am done whatever project I started. So onto the project, and guess what it's a laptop owl case! 



This was my rough sketch of my project, and I must say I really stuck with my drawing for once, usually I will draw something, and change it up as I go along.



Because laptops are all different sizes I can't provide you guys with a specific pattern, but this owl case is super easy to modify, that being said I will write down what I did.

Small quantity of black yarn for the eyes
Bernat Satin yarn medium weight 4. in 2 complementary colours
5mm crochet hook
Beak shaped object (I made one out of wood but you could also use a button or make one out of yarn)
White fabric or felt for the eyes
Fabric for the wings
Thick thread or yarn for sewing your fabric onto the case



Start out with a chain I chained 34 +2(but my laptop is tiny) this should be a bit longer than the width of your computer.
Sc into the 2nd chain Sc all the way to the last ch, in the last chain put 2 sc to help you start to work in rounds. Sc all the way across and put  2 sc in end st. Keep working in rounds I did 12 rnds, before I changed colours as you can see you in the picture below.

 I did 3 rows of my blue yarn and switched back to the gray, normally I will carry the yarn along underneath of the sts, but for this project it really messed up the symmetry of the case.
           Keep switching between your 2 colours, I did 4 blue stripes 
     Switch back to grey and keep working in rnds, I did 40 rows but again that would depend on the size of your laptop. In my picture you can see where I started each row, but don't worry about that because it will be covered by the wings. I switched back to blue just to make a nice band around the top, I did 3 rows.
 Now we are going to start making the flap, count your stitches to see where your flap should begin, I personally eyeballed it but it's up to you how precise you want to be. 
  We are going to start working in rows now.
 1-4. sc st. 
 5-9. (start to dec,) dec one on each end normal sc in-between 




10-12. skip the first st dec on next 2 st, normal sc till the 3rd st from the end skip it, and dec on the remaining 2 sts. 
13. Dec one on each end normal sc in-between.
14. Normal sc
15-17. Dec 1 in middle


  This is what it should look like, of course if you do have a bigger computer you will have to add more rows, and adjust everything quite a bit for it to fit. Now that we have the base done, you can start with the fun part, customizing!

 Cut out two circles, from your white fabric.  


  Cut out two wings, whatever shape you like. 
                    It should look something like this.

 Crochet 2 black circles, I did 16 dc into the magic ring, but it just depends how big you want the eyes to be. 


Stitch your eye onto the white fabric.  


  Stitch your white fabric onto the crochet base. 


                                              This is both  of the eyes stitched on.


Start stitching on the wings. 
I painted the beak with this pastel yellow, and then covered it with modpodge. I used pastel yellow yarn to make a loop for the beak to go through.







Attach the beak. Sew in all of your loose ends.
And there you have it, I'm still not convinced of the orange stitching for the wings and I might change it, If I do I will show you guys an updated picture.
                                                                Have a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment